Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Etc.

It's been another busy week for me, hence the light blogging. I did, however, have to post about a couple things.

First, our county government leaders have just approved a 15% raise for all prosecutors and public defenders. I am still in shock. I don't think I will completely believe it is true until I see it on my paycheck. In the meantime, I will express my sincere gratitude to my semi-anonymous county commissioners for their generosity.

Second, Tom DeLay was indicted today by a Travis County grand jury in Austin. I know many people, including DeLay himself, will complain that the DA, a Democrat, is conducting a partisan witchhunt, but I just don't buy it. In all the years that Ronnie Earle has been the DA in the county of our state capital, he has gone after plenty of elected Democrats as well. So, while it is certainly possible that the indictment is politically motivated in that the DA likes to go after big political targets no matter what their party affiliation, the allegation that this is a partisan attack just doesn't hold water with me.

Third (sort of 2B, actually), in his statement to the press in reaction to his indictment, DeLay said that it was one of the "weakest, most baseless indictments in American history." I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. Perhaps Mr. DeLay would like to look at some of my files and the files of some of my colleagues. Many indictments here are handed down after a random police officer recites another police officer's report that consists of some version of the following: "Officer X responded to the scene. Complainant Y stated that she and Suspect Z were involved in a verbal argument about their relationship when Suspect Z grabbed a knife and threatened to kill Complainant. Suspect Z was not at the location when officers arrived." No testimony, no physical evidence. Just a police officer telling the grand jurors what another police officer says another person says. Most baseless indictment in history? Get over yourself, Mr. DeLay. And welcome to the Texas criminal justice system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home