Thursday, September 11, 2008

Long time, no blog . . .

Yeah, I know you've heard that before. I apologize. Circumstances have conspired against me. So, here's an update:

I have moved from juvenile court to adult felonies. I was really torn when I was asked to make the move. It was considered an advancement in the office, but I had really grown to love juvenile work. I missed being able to do jury trials (and having my clients have the RIGHT to a jury trial), but I knew I would miss the kids. So far, though, I am happy where I am. I have been back in front of a few juries with pretty good results so far.

I am still busier than ever--the life of a public defender. And things at my office are far from perfect. But, what has inspired me to get back into blogging is what is going on at my old office in Dallas. They are really suffering. They are being messed with in the extreme by the political forces in the county, and good, experienced public defenders are quitting because they don't believe they can meet their ethical obligations to their clients under the quota system that has been imposed there.

My thoughts go out to all my former colleagues there in Dallas, whether they have chosen to leave or are trying to stick it out. I don't know what I would do if I were still there. On one hand, I respect those who have quit because they do not believe that they can fulfill their ethical obligations to provide zealous representation under the overly burdensome caseload standards that have been imposed. On the other hand, I respect those who are staying because they know that good, ethical attorneys need to be there to represent the indigent accused. I wish them all the best and hope that changes will be coming. (For more information about the situation in Dallas, check out Grits for Breakfast. As per usual, he is all over the issue.)

Hopefully, it won't be another year before my next post!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Windypundit said...

Welcome back. I missed your writing, and I hope you'll stick around some.

So, to prime the pump, as it were, what do you think about David Feige's Raising the Bar?

9/11/2008 4:16 PM  
Blogger Petition For Review said...

So glad to see you are back to blogging. Your blog has been missed.

9/12/2008 6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. I fell for this once before.

9/17/2008 5:04 AM  
Blogger TheEvilOne said...

Welcome back, but what about that Kiddie Prison post.

9/19/2008 4:11 AM  
Blogger Sancho said...

Hey, welcome back! At first I thought it was a trick Skelly was playing, and now I'm comforted to read you are back. I thought we lost you for good but its nice to know you were here all along.

9/21/2008 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank admins love


sohbet
chat sitesi
chat odası

3/26/2010 5:13 AM  
Blogger Richmond legal lawyer said...

https://www.criminallawyer-virginia.com/, www.criminallawyer-virginia.com, criminallawyer-virginia.com, criminallawyervirginia, virginia criminal lawyer

12/15/2019 10:00 AM  
Blogger Amanda larry said...

I saw a post in a health forum from miss woman on how she was treated from HIV with the use of Robinson Buckler herbs and she also wrote Robinson Buckler cure all kind of deadly diseases including Herpes, HIV, ALS, HPV, HSV1&2, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Diabetes. At first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try and i contacted this herbal Doctor on email Robinsonbuckler@ {{yahoo.}} com and explain my problem to him and he told me that he is going to prepare a herbal medicine for me which he did and he sent it to me through UPS service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, after taken the medicine as instructed, i went for check up and the result shows negative and i was treated of this deadly disease within a 2 week, I am now free from HIV. You can contact him 😉 😉😉 😉😉 😉……………

1/22/2020 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home