Thursday, September 28, 2006

Totally Random Article About Lottery Winners Pisses Me Off

Maybe I'm just in a foul mood today because we are about to legalize war crimes and horriffic human rights violations in this country, but this mostly benign article about a Powerball-winning office pool really pissed me off this morning. In answer to their questions, I would say that, "No, neither God nor Buddha intervened to make you guys win the lottery." And reading a story about how the long-suffering office pool had just about given up on playing the lottery before they hit the big one just makes me think of all the poor people out there who gamble away the money they should be using to feed, clothe, and house their families in the hopes that, if they just play one more time, all their problems will be over.

Okay, rant over.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At an old liquor store where I’ve been going for 30 years (the same liquor store), all the tables that used to be filled with these bottles of Elvis singing that you dump in the Southern Comfort, that’s been pushed aside because all of these video games are there and all these scratch cards are there. I was through there buying my own Southern Comfort a month or so ago and this woman said, "Well which lottery ticket would you like?" I said, "I can’t buy lottery tickets. I’m not allowed to buy lottery tickets." And the place is full of old people, of people my age, scratching on these things and trying to come up with a lottery ticket. And they all turned and looked and they were all outraged that I should be banned from playing the lottery. And she said, "Well what do you mean?" And I said, "My IQ just isn’t low enough to play the lottery."
--Ken Kesey
video, or transcript

I thinks Kesey's IQ was also not low enough for him to support legalizing war crimes and horrific human rights violations, or travesties like the bush administration.

I know mine isn't. Peace, from somewhere else beautiful in the Pacific Northwest, not far away.

btw, loved your economy of words over here. Well said.

---edger

9/28/2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Alexander Wolfe said...

And I can promise you that in only a few years, you'll be reading about how some of these people squandered their earnings and are now living on public assistance.

9/28/2006 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some of these people ... are now living on public assistance

---edger

9/29/2006 7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a better chance of winning if you play e-lotto.

12/24/2006 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home