Sunday, August 06, 2006

When Your Clients Like You Too Much

Crimson Bear relates the story of a female client asking him out. While neither office policy nor the disciplinary rules in his state prohibit such an encounter, he politely declined, on account of her being accused of attacking her previous boyfriend with a knife. What about the presumption of innocence, I ask! Seriously, though, I imagine this is something just about every public defender practicing long enough has experienced. My personal favorite was when a client whose case I had resolved with a plea bargain a couple weeks before showed up at my office with flowers for me. I insisted that such a gesture was not necessary, I was just doing my job, yada yada yada. But, he insisted on giving them to me and proceeded to tell me how intelligent and understanding I was. As he continued his very brief courtship of me, the following thought ran through my head: You know I know you tried to strangle your pregnant girlfriend, right? Alas, I have managed to unknowingly move myself from a state in which romantic relationships with clients are permitted to one in which it's a definite no-no. It's always nice to have disciplinary rules to save you from yourself.

(Thanks to Skelly for the tip.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Partain said...

I can relate to Crimson Bear's situation. I had a client charged with trafficking in meth write me a letter wanting to start a relationship with me, after I got her case dismissed. It was flattering, but I had to politely decline. In addition, I have had clients flat out inform me that they were willing to have sex with me, whenever I wanted it. Finally, I have a current client with erotomania and she is starting to become fixated with me as her love interest. Aaaaah, public defender work. It isn't just a job, but an adventure.

8/06/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Sancho said...

A PD in my office received love letters from a client in jail for about two months...comparing his love for her as to the love he had with Coca-Cola.

It was kind of sweet actually. Well, I know Coke is sweet but if someone is going to love you, it better mean at least as much to them as their drink of choice in the slammer.

8/07/2006 5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home