Sunday, August 06, 2006

Stuff

*I've fiddled around with my links a bit--some adding, some deleting.

*Did you hear that Ken Lammers over at CrimLaw is becoming a prosecutor? At first, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Then, I read is explanation, and I have to say I understand where he's coming from. His description of the blatantly unconstitutional funding of indigent defense in his state makes me ill. At what point do all the criminal defense lawyers just stand up and say, "We will no longer accept indigent appointments until the government agrees to provide reasonable fees such that we can provide the appropriate, zealous representation to our clients demanded by the Constitution." The problem is that there will always be the bottomfeeder lawyers--we all know they're out there--who will continue to take a high volume of cases for a low fee per case, and plead them out as quickly as possible, with no care or consideration for their constitutional obligations to their clients. And as long as the legislature and the judiciary allow such a system to continue, the good, dedicated lawyers like Ken--who end up earning less than minimum wage on their cases because they put the actual amount of time needed to represent them properly--will continue to be forced to walk away.

*Blonde Justice reviewed Indefensible's new book, appropriately titled Indefensible. I ordered my personally signed copy a couple weeks ago, and I can't wait to read it.

*I'm dying to post about something I just discovered is a crime in Washington, but I can't because it is related to a case I have set for trial, and I have no idea if the prosecutor in my case reads my blog, and I don't want to tip her off to what I discovered if she doesn't already know it.

*I had a dream last night that Al Swearengen from Deadwood was my client. It was . . . interesting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sancho said...

I have to say that Ian Mcshane is one scary looking dude. Was he wearing his Western attire in court?

Something tells me there is more you're not sayin!

8/07/2006 5:52 AM  
Blogger 123txpublicdefender123 said...

You're damn right there's more I'm not saying. That's what the ". . ." is for!

8/07/2006 7:39 AM  
Blogger swd said...

And was his langauge as ... colorful ... as on "Deadwood?"

8/07/2006 5:00 PM  
Blogger 123txpublicdefender123 said...

Oh, yes. The entire dream was colorful. Ahem.

8/07/2006 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home