Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Innocent and Doing Life?

Update: Apparently, I wasn't the only one who felt sick to her stomach after reading the LAT article. So did one of the jurors who convicted him. She and seven other jurors said they would not have voted to convict if they had known about the evidence discussed in the article.
******************
Original post:

The Los Angeles Times has a very long and well-documented piece about Bruce Lisker who is serving a life sentence for the murder of his mother. Recent forensic evidence, information about an alternate suspect, and renewed doubts about jailhouse snitches involved in the case have caused even the retired prosecutor who tried the case to seriously doubt Mr. Lisker's guilt.

I'm curious how other defense lawyers feel about cases of the wrongly convicted. On one hand, I am obsessively drawn to them. On the other hand, it often makes me so sick to my stomach to read or watch stories about them that I will avoid them altogether. This one definitely made my stomach hurt.