Monday, April 18, 2005

Johnnie Cochran said that?

I've received some e-mails and comments about my introduction at the top of my blog. A number of people have pointed out that Johnnie Cochran was not the first to say, "An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." They have told me it was Martin Luther King, Jr. who originated the quote. I admit that I didn't thoroughly research this. I just got inspired to start this blog after reading an obituary for Johnnie Cochran (from a very reputable newspaper), and it was from that obituary that I got the quote. So, now I've done some investigating. It turns out that Dr. King was the originator of the quote, "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." He wrote it in his famous "Letter from Birmingham Jail." However, it appears that even Dr. King was borrowing from Samuel Johnson, who, back in the 1700s wrote that, "An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere." So, what do I do? This blog was still inspired by Johnnie Cochran's call to rectify injustice wherever we may be. And yet, I don't want to disrespect either King or Johnson. I've decided to change the intro to the blog. Tell me what you think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about, "Inspired by the late, great Johnnie Cochran, who, in the spirit previously expressed by Martin Luther King, Jr. and Samuel Johnson, exhorted others to remember..."?

I think Johnnie Cochran, Reverend King and Samuel Johnson would be proud...

4/18/2005 7:18 AM  
Blogger 123txpublicdefender123 said...

I like that idea. Thanks!

4/18/2005 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home