Thursday, January 04, 2007

I'm Having a Constitutional Crisis About My Low Salary, Too

Pardon my French, but Chief Justice Roberts (pictured at left) really pissed me off with his recent annual report on the federal judiciary. As Slate's Dahlia Lithwick explains here, Roberts spent pretty much the whole report on judicial pay, concluding that the lack of a pay raise in a number of years threatened a constitutional crisis. According to Roberts, a lot of these federal judges could make a lot more than the $165,000-175,000 per year they make as judges if they were law school deans or partners at big civil firms. Well, tough cookies. It's called public service, Mr. Chief Justice. Many of us do it for much, much less than federal judges do. And we don't have the job security of life tenure. Or people calling us "Your Honor" all the time. Suck it up.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Curtis said...

Amen. I just took a job in Texas that is going to pay me significantly less but it's in the public sector in an area where I am passionate. I'm not doing it for the money but I'd gladly accept a federal judge's salary instead of what I'll make...

1/04/2007 7:33 PM  
Blogger John D. McLauchlan said...

I'd be happy just to make a prosecutor's salary, but I wouldn't turn down a federal judge's salary. Belief in what we're doing keeps us going. It's certainly not the attention we get in the legislature, the local commissioner's court, or the media. Even when attention is turned to indigent defense, those of us in the trenches don't even warrant an afterthought.

1/05/2007 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur with learned counsel. Your honor is a jerk.

1/05/2007 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home